8/27/08

The Most Awesome Granola Bars!!!



I have been searching for a good granola bar recipe forEVER! I've made lots of different varieties, and I've finally found the one I think tops them all. At least at our house! They're sooo yummy & everything comes from your food storage. The BEST part? They're no bake!

I cut them into little 1 inch bite size pieces, & they last longer that way. My kids will get 1 or 2 & that satisfies them. So here goes:

(I have changed this recipe a little since I first posted it, and it works better. Here is the updated version):

1 1/2 C. RICE KRISPIES
3 C. REGULAR OATS
1/2 C. CHOCOLATE CHIPS

(Mix the above ingredients in a large bowl)

1/2 C. BROWN SUGAR
1/2 C. HONEY (OR CORN SYRUP)
1/2 C. PEANUT BUTTER (WE LIKE CRUNCHY!)
1/2 C. CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1 TSP. VANILLA

MIX SUGAR, HONEY, PEANUT BUTTER, VANILLA, & CHOCOLATE CHIPS IN A POT OR MICROWAVE JUST UNTIL MELTED.

***I HAVE FOUND IF I ADD A LITTLE MORE THAN 1/2 C. OF THE WET INGREDIENTS, IT HOLDS THE BARS TOGETHER BETTER. HEAP THOSE HALF CUPS!

- - - - - - - - - -

Pour over dry mix & stir well. It's ok if the chocolate chips melt, because it will help hold the granola bars together better.

SPREAD MIX IN A LIGHTLY GREASED 9X13 PAN & PACK VERY FIRMLY!!! ***I LIGHTLY GREASE MY FINGERS & PRESS THEM DOWN AS HARD AS I CAN :)

Let cool & cut into squares or bars. Store in air tight container or wrap each bar in plastic wrap.

*OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS - TO YOUR OWN LIKING:
WHEAT GERM
COCONUT
CINNAMON
RAISINS / CRAISINS
CRUSHED PECANS
CRUSHED ALMONDS


YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH MAKE ANY FLAVOR YOU WANT TOO! I LIKE TO DOUBLE THE RECIPE, WHICH MAKES MY BARS THICKER.

NOW, IS THAT EASY, OR WHAT!!!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

I Love your blog!!
I made the peanut butter thingamabob's Sunday. We loved them. I added a little bit of quick oats to them, and they were awesome. I was just thinking about making granola bars, (I never have) so, I am so glad you posted this recipe! I'm gonna make some for our camping trip. Thanks Jen!
~Jamie

Carla said...

That looks good AND healthy!

Ann Marie said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've never made granola, so I am exited to try them. Anything to change things up a bit?

Amy said...

Well, I still haven't tried it even though you emailed me the recipe LONG before posting this! I LOVE THIS SITE. I'm excited to learn all you've learned. Get here early on the Friday that you come (if you can) and you can go with me to wally-world to pick out storage containers etc. :o)

rebecca said...

I was wondering if you thought you could omit the peanut butter from your granola bar recipe - I was going to try making them as samples for an enrichment preparedness fair and wanted to take into account some ladies who have peanut allergies. what do you think?

Linda said...

You are a woman after my own heart.
All the recipes are wonderful, but this one is great because we LOVE fresh granola bars, but I hate baking them. This will make it much easier.
Thanks, Linda from AZ