7/4/08

Wheat Grass?


I knew about sprouting grains & beans, but I had no clue I could grow wheatgrass! And if I did, what the heck would I use it for? Just look at all these interesting facts:

One pound of fresh wheatgrass is equivalent in nutritional value to 23 pounds of choice garden vegetables.

This nutrient-rich grass contains 17 amino acids which are the building blocks of proteins.

Wheat grass retains 92 of the 102 minerals found in the soil. These minerals include calcium, phosphorus, iron magnesium and potassium. It is a rich natural source of vitamins A and C. Wheat grass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots. It is exceptionally rich in vitamins E, K, and B-complex.


Wheatgrass juice is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream and gives immediate energy.

* Wheatgrass energizes and reduces fatigue.
* Wheatgrass is a appetite suppressant.
* Wheatgrass juice improves metabolism.
* Wheatgrass improves digestion.
* Wheatgrass juice enriches the blood, removes blood disorders, & lowers blood pressure
* Wheatgrass juice is antibacterial
* Wheatgrass juice helps cleanse the liver
* Wheatgrass juice prevents tooth decay
* Wheatgrass juice is good for skin problems. It improves complexion, treats acne, and removes acne scars.
* Wheatgrass juice keeps hair from graying & removes dandruff
* boosts the immune system
* calming the nervous system
* promotes regularity & helps fight constipation
* The chlorophyll present in wheatgrass will wash drug deposits from the body, neutralize toxins in the body, help purify the liver, and prevent ageing. The chlorophyll also stabilizes blood sugar levels.

IF YOU DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO FRESH VEGETABLES OR VITAMINS, WHEATGRASS COULD REPLACE THEM & GIVE YOU YOUR FULL NEEDED NUTRITION!


************************

WOW! Talk about benefits! So I've watched a few of videos on www.simplylivingsmart.com & I'm learning how to use grains (AND WHEATGRASS)in ways I'd never heard of before...

I grew my first batch of wheatgrass this week, & I threw a big chunk in my blender with fruit, yogurt, & milk... Delicious & Healthy Smoothie!

You can juice it, chop/grind it up & add it to sauces, casseroles, etc... AND, did you know there are entire books out on wheatgrass?

You can use a tray sprouter (Sprout Master brand is best) - to grow your wheatgrass, but I don't have one yet, so I used a mason jar. (Not as easy, but it works.)

Just pour in 1/4 cup of fresh whole wheat.
Cover with water (about 2" above top of wheat) & let soak overnight.
The next day, rinse wheat (with cool water), then drain well. Do this AT LEAST 3 times a day.
Cover jar opening with cheesecloth or paper towel, etc... & secure with rubberband.
Keep in warm area, & expose to light (a window or small lamp work great)
In a day or 2 you'll notice little tails on your wheat. Within 4-5 days, beautiful green grass will fill your jar! Gently pull out the wheat sprouts & grass with tongs or your fingers... Cut sprigs of grass to use in your dishes & drinks for an extra boost of energy!


*NOTE: In a jar, the grass will only grow about 2 inches high... In a sprouter, it will grow 4-6 inches high!!! Here are photos of my wheat grass in the jar & after I pulled it out. It still worked, but I'm VERY anxious to get a sprouter!




Later on I'll post a few other ideas for using fresh wheat. (Or you can watch the videos on www.simplylivingsmart.com)

1 comment:

Jan said...

I use to do classes just on wheatgrass. It is my all time favorite subject. Hidden secret.