7/19/08

Easiest Ever Fruit Leather!



I've hit a jackpot! Our family LOVES Fruit Roll Ups. I'm saving up for a better food dehydrator than what I have now, so in the mean time, I've started using my oven for this "Oh So Easy" recipe. We have tried a few roll up recipes, and this one is by far the tastiest to date! I like to make the all natural 100% fruit ones occasionally, since they're a little healthier, but honestly, these are our favorite!

Needed:

1 jelly roll pan
Saran Wrap
Apple Sauce
Jello Powder


Pre-heat your oven to 125 degrees... (If it won't go that low, try 175 & leave the door cracked open)

You can even do up to 200 degrees so it'll dry faster, but the leather will crack a little, so it'll be a better "pull-apart" snack instead of cutting for rolls...

*The best time to do this is before you go to bed, so your kiddies aren't tempted to touch the hot oven, & you'll wake up to a wonderful aroma and treat to eat!

Mix 2 cups applesauce and 1 small box of ANY flavor Jello (powdered)


You can add or subtract as much Jello as you want. If all you have is large boxes or bags, just pour in part of it - or make a double batch & use 2 oven racks! The more the better!

Cover jelly roll pan with saran wrap.

*Make sure the sides aren't hanging over to touch the oven racks... AND that they don't fold back into the pan, or the edges of the leather won't dry correctly)

Spread mixture evenly on pan about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick.
Bake in your 125 degree oven for several hours (or all night)


Your leather will be done when it's easily peeled up from your plastic wrap.

Cut into 1" wide strips & roll up in plastic wrap. Store in air tight container.

This stuff is addicting!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great info on your site but the red background is VERY hard on the eyes.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Love your site and am very interested in making the fruit roll-ups for my kids! Thanks for posting it!

Kati said...

Hi, I was looking over the internet for fruit leather recipes and came upon your site.

I perused your other sites and just wanted to say "Thank you!" I have a little girl and I have no clue how to do hair! I love the ideas you have on your hair blog.

I hope you don't mind I added your sites to my specialty blogs, let me know if that is a problem.
I enjoyed getting some ideas and recipes as well.
Thanks!
Kati Anderson

Tina said...

wow, you really are amazing. I LOVE to cook and get new recipes, I have a ton of recipes in my computer and my website, (see facebook).. awesome.. I have a really yummy tomato basil soup I came across that is to die for, let me know if you want it. Perfect for garden tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

I used to make jello flavored applesauce fruit leathers for my children some twenty + years ago and I have been racking my brain trying to remember the jello to applesauce ratio for a couple of years so that I may make them for my grandsons. I'm leaving for the grocery store when I finish this note and will dig out my dehydrator as soon as I return and hopefully get it right this time. This is not a suggestion for leathers, but the recipe for jigglers on the Jell-O gelatin box makes a great treat and they aren't all that messy due to the reduced amount of water added. I use a jellyroll pan sprayed with canola oil and double the recipe. Refrigerate until cured/done then cut the gelatin into cubes and store in plastic container with lid (if it lasts that long), but not sealed so that no excess moisture collects. Even my Son-in-law loves them. I also use various flavors of soda (regular or diet), in place of water, with unflavored gelatin for more variety. That recipe is on Knox Unflavored Gelatin Powder packet. Thank you ever so much for this great recipe. GG

Team Jensen said...

I'd love to make this during the summer but don't want to heat up my house. Do you know how I could convert this to be made in a dehydrator yet? The last time I tried fruit leather in my dehydrator it turned out horrible. Help me avoid that mistake again, pretty please!

Anonymous said...

Can I use cooked blended zucchini instead of the applesauce?